Restaurant Review: Max's Wine Bar, Kinsale

This was in the top three meals we had while in Ireland.  It's not a cheap eat, but the food is excellent.

Irish squid, grilled.
I started with the Irish squid appetizer.  The preparation was grilling, which--surprisingly--made the squid very tender and almost juicy.  Very well done.

Baked mussels.
Mary started wtih grilled mussels "rockefeller" on the half shell.  I'd never seen that before; it must have taken the chef forever to do with such small shellfish.  That said, it wasabsolutely delicious.

Venison, with jus and compote.
For my main course, I had venison with parsnips, grilled apple + berries, and a thyme au jus.  Venison is a very lean meat, and happily turns itself into jerky in a heartbeat.  This was venison done right--extremely tender, and supremely complimented by the sides.  I was very impressed.

Ling cod.
Mary had the Ling cod for her main, and I was likewise impressed wth the preparation.  The skin was very crispy, while the fish itself was tender, juicy, and not overcooked.

The AMAZING black toffee pudding.
With food this good, we had to try dessert despite being stuffed.  We closed with black toffee bread pudding.  I found this very playful.  The pudding itself wasn't inherently sweet.  However, the sauces and ice cream served on the side were, and when combined with the toffee pudding made for a series of perfectly balanced bites.

This was a very good meal.  I highly recommend Max's Wine Bar if you happen to dine in Kinsale.  Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment